Alessandro Specchi was the first architect to adapt the new Scuderie. Pope Innocent XIII charged him with redesigning the simple, run-down building originally put up by Carlo Fontana at the beginning of the eighteenth century. The pope's death interrupted the project for six years until, in 1730, Clement XII commissioned Ferdinando Fuga to complete the job.
Fuga chose to maintain Specchi's overriding structure, but raised the mezzanine level, redesigned the facade and gave greater importance to the central doors. The original magnificent entrance, with its two semi-elliptical stairways, was rendered even more striking by the elegant balustrade added by Fuga, but it was demolished in 1865 to make room for the road leading up to “Monte Cavallo” (Horse Hill, another name for the piazza).
The Scuderie building was a working stable as late as 1938, when it was modified to park cars rather than horses and carriages.
- The Restoration
The less than perfect conditions of the Scuderie building (Quirinal Stables) and the desire to turn the building into a museum called for a decision to undertake significant restorations.
- La Piazza del Quirinale - Quirinal Square
It is difficult to summarize in just a few lines the 500 years of history that have left their mark on this square, not to mention all the popes, kings and emperors that have passed through.
- The changing of the guard at the President's Palace
Two films have kindly been made available by the Quirinal Press Office and the RAI television studios. You need Windows Media Player to see them.